Sunday, December 4, 2016

Yulemas

Whew, finally!  Tree is up!


Big thanks to my mom for getting us a replacement tree stand!  Tree is up and it's finally starting to look like Yulemas around here...minus all of the stockings hanging.

Wolfman saw them hanging and said, "Mommy, why are socks on the wall?"
"They're stockings for Yule, buddy."
Laughing, "Socks go on our feet, not the wall!"  So they're wall socks now.

Like, we seriously have a lot of stocking hanging.  Some are store bought and themed, like the Cars for Wolfman and a kitty for Warrior.  Detriot Red Wings for hubby, and a Naughty/Nice for mommy.  The others are crocheted from my husband's grandmother and sister.  Gotta hang those!  This time of the year has a major emphasis on family, tradition, and charity.  What's more fitting than handmade stockings?  Even Nathan has a stocking up, with the family.  Then hanging by the door is one for the Julbocken and Sleipnir, that I'll put some carrots or oats inside of, as offering.  Odin gets fire whiskey, but I wait until the kids go to bed before I leave that offering out (way out of their reach).

In looking at my tree, I've made almost all of the ornaments on it. I think that as the kids start to grow out of certain toys, I'm going to take their favorites and turn a couple into ornaments, complete with the year.

Now I have to think of what I'm going to make for this year.... Maybe a Boov? I have Deadpool, some Harry Potter stuff, Paw Patrol and Buzz, Minions... Perhaps Boov and Blaze?
I may have the kids make ornaments this year, too.

Also another big thanks to my mom, who helped buy presents for the kids.  They're mostly getting toys this year, but I'm fine with that, since it was my mom who offered.  I graciously accepted, we were actually fine with just getting them one toy each, but my mom had other plans and wasn't going to take no for an answer.  Usually we do four gifts, something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read.  So this year, they have 3 toys each from grandma that we're giving to them on Yule (they have Christmas at her house, and get a few more), then from us a character bathing set, pj's, and a movie.

Most of our money is going to (aside from bills) Wolfman's birthday, Thomas the Train!  We already have a present for him, one of Thomas' friends, Emily.  All we'll need is the theme and cake.  Mom's getting pizza.  I guess she got him a train set with tracks, so we're going to put the tracks around the cake, and that'll be his big birthday gift, making the toy a part of the cake, like I've done with the Look Out and the Barn in birthday's past.

Definitely doing another cupcake cake, because those are fantastic.

Next year, I'll be making large stuffed monster truck tires with handles (inspired by the Blaze costume Wolfman wore for Halloween), and giving that as their toy gift.  I'd like to start emphasizing hand made gifts for Yule as they get older.  One of my friends does that with her children for Christmas and her kids are really appreciative of their gifts, and make gifts for each other.  It's pretty cool.

On the potty training front, Warrior is doing fantastic.  More and more he's asking us to remove his diaper so he can use the potty.  We only put it on him at night and for naps.  Then tonight, after night night, he called for daddy so he could use the potty!  He's more ready for night training than we are.  He still hasn't pooped in the potty yet, so we're waiting for more advanced stages until he does.

Lots of good things are happening right now.  Especially a huge blessing, in that my husband's garnishment will be paid off at the end of this year!  Hopefully we won't be scrimping by next year.  We'll actually be able to get back on track with our homestead plans, and not need financial help from family.

We're really blessed and thankful for all of the support and love from our family and friends.  It's been a tough year, emotionally and financially, but a lot of good things have also come from it, too.  So much growth and strength and love.

Blessings friends, hope your month is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment