Monday, November 30, 2015

The Stockings Were Hung....

The stockings are hung.  Two are handmade by my husband's family, and two are store bought.  Whether by my hand or anothers, we'll all have handmade stockings.  Even for Sleipnir and the Julbock.

We buy the kids four gifts each: Something they want, something they need, something to wear, and something to read.  Those four gifts are from us.  They'll also get 1-2 smaller gifts to be from Odin and the Julbock, those will be in their stockings.  At least, that's how it is now, this stuff's expensive now and I really want to instill the importance of giving back to the community, to those less fortunate than us.  This is the Season of Charity, in my opinion.  Plus the grandparents spoil them enough at Christmas.   But I may knock the amount to two gifts, something handmade and something store bought...maybe, but definitely lessening the number of gifts received, though.  Do it while they're young.

Our problem is, that we, the parents, get excited and want to give them the world.  Course until you see that receipt, and realize, well, shit.  Do they really need all of these things?  If we have the money to splurge on our kids, why not give to others?  Other than friends and family?  Give to them, too, but to strangers.

We already give donations to various charities, this year we just started Toys for Tots, Habitats for Humanity, and giving to local food drives.  In the years to come, I want the kids to participate.  To pick out gifts for other kids and families, and to volunteer our time to lend a helping hand.  I might start to involve them next year...  Start em young!  I've been looking at a lot of local charities lately.  Time to do, instead of just plan.

December, I'm going to be making a couple more ornaments and a the offering stocking for Sleipnir and Julbock, to be filled with carrots and hay.  And maybe a magical skeleton key to get in, similar to what I did as ornament gifts for gift last year, when I made Santa's Magic Key, to be hung outside, for those who don't have chimney's.

As for Odin's offerings, since Goat is normally served to the Norse Gods on Yule, I was thinking of Goat Cheese (I <3 that stuff!) or goat's milk, instead of mead or whiskey, which is what I'd normally leave out for Him on Yule.

No comments:

Post a Comment