Saturday, November 28, 2015

Let's Yule It Up!

True to family tradition, I've exchanged the fall decorations for the winter ones.  The tree is also up, but no ornaments yet.  I want to see how Warrior does first, but the box is at my feet and it's getting hard to resist.  I love ornaments.  Like most families, putting the tree up was a family event.  Taking out the ornaments, reminiscing, hanging them.  The boys are still a little too young to help, and too short, as I have the tree up on a tall nightstand.

But I made them coloring pages, with trees, too.  Well, I should say Wolfman, since Warrior will just eat the crayons...

Wolfman's all excited about Christmas.  Course, I'm trying to get him to say 'Yule' instead, since it's what we celebrate at home, then do Christmas a couple days later with the grandparents.  "No, mommy, it's Christmas."  He'll get it one day.  This year, we're really going to start introducing Odin, Sleipnir, and the Julbock to him.  He already knows who Santa is.

Instead of saying that Santa's not real, or that he's just a creation of a soda company, we say that he's a Spirit of Charity.  There's many Spirits of Charity this season.  Santa, St. Nick, La Befana, the Julbock, to name a few.  I don't want to say that Santa or St. Nick are based off of Odin, because I feel that it lessens the experience of others who believe in them.  I don't care about origins or truths.  Okay, so what if Santa is inspired by Odin, Santa is still real to someone, child and adult.  Santa is his own entity.  His own Spirit (ha, he's Pop Culture!).  Inspired by Odin, St, Nick, or revamped by Coka Cola.  Many still love and adore him.  He's still a giver of gifts.

This year, we did the Toys for Tots charity, and introduced that concept to Wolfman.  He didn't quite understand, but like Yule, he will.  Start em young.  I'd like for the kids to participate in picking out toys, clothes, and foods for these charities in the coming years.  Give someone else a happy holiday.

So this year, I'm really going to focus on getting more images of Odin, Sleipnir, and the Julbock out and about the house, as well as continuing the tradition of leaving a boot or a stocking out of carrots and hay for Sleipnir and the Julbock, and a shot of mead for Odin, on Yule Eve as our offerings of thanks.

Hopefully I'll be updating the blog in December with some interesting Yule Tide things for families.  I make no promises, though.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment