Monday, October 26, 2015

New Baby and Staying Connected

A friend of mine recently gave birth and is in the throws of Baby Bootcamp!  She shot me a message,
"Hello, this may sound like an odd question, but how do you find time for children, cooking cleaning and religion? I feel like all I do all day is sleep and feed Charles."
I told her that with each of my boys, I barely remember those first few months!  I know with Wolfman, I slept whenever he did, and sometimes during feedings--just little naps.  Couldn't tell you how often I fell asleep feeding Warrior!

Sleep deprivation, crabbiness, and a few times I plotted my husband death...until I realized that if I did that, I'd be a single mom... (j/k...maybe ;-) ).

"Lol. I just feel stuck I guess. Perhaps overwhelmed. I wanted to do.something with my time off I guess my expectations were way too high."

Baby Bootcamp; no rest, no play, no relaxation for the new parents.  So I gave her some tips, things that I did/do, that might help her connect with her path again and keep some sanity.  

  • I keep my shrines and altars in the room that I spend the most time in, in sight.  That way, whether I'm feeding, changing a butt, or whatever, I can look to it.  Mine provide me with calm, clarity, energy, and encouragement.  A little slice of sanity.  
  • I kept an altar in their room, one to protect them, and two to give us strength, peace, and energy.  Over time, I put it higher and higher, til it sits above their door.  
  • I kept a book and notebook in the bathroom...course when the kids got mobile, well, bathroom privacy became a thing of the past.  
  • She could read while feeding him.
  • My husband was more than happy to let me get away for an hour or so, so I could read, study, practice, and meditate.  
  • Utilize that time you have when the kids finally do have a bed time!
  • House chores and cooking are spiritual for me, sacred--important tasks to provide my self, family, and Deities/Spirits with a clean, safe, and happy home.  I'd light a candle or put on a veil and/or apron as ritual garb, and grab my magikal tools to perform these tasks.  As long as my cleaning potions.  Some home made, some simply charged with intention.  

Although I told her that eventually things will even out, routines will be set, and she'll be used to being drained all of the time.  She'll adapt to life as a parent, and discover what works for her to reconnect to her path.  

What things have you done in order to keep connected to your spiritual path?  Any tips or advice?

No comments:

Post a Comment