Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Thank the Gods for that CPR Refresher Course!

Had a scare with Vin today (7/28).  We were on the floor just chillin.  Him lookin about, me playing Skyrim (Lycan was napping).  Vin had been spitting up a clear water-like fluid as well as saliva most of the afternoon.  I just wiped and played.

Then he started freaking out.  His arms were flailing, and there was no sound coming from his mouth.  None.

Instantly, calmly, cooly, I picked him up, laid him stomach down on my leg, and smacked his back, between the shoulders, until he coughed up the fluid.  He cried.  I calmed him down.  He spit more of it up.  Then was fine.  He carried on as normal.

I kept my cool through the ordeal that only lasted for less than a minute.  It's all due to that CPR refresher course that we were required to take before we took Vin home from the NICU.  I kept a cool level head and knew what to do immediately.  My baby's okay.

NICU or not, I think every parent should have to take a CPR class!

On January 6th, 2012, I choked on a hotdog.  If it wasn't for my husband's quick thinking and knowledge of the heimlich maneuver, I probably wouldn't be here.  I'd hate to think what might've happened if I was home alone.  I remember taking the class of performing it on yourself, but that was in high school.  But hubby was there.  Performed it on me, I threw up, and am alive.  Going through that myself, I knew how important it was to stay calm, especially for Vin.  Babies are sensitive to their parent's emotions.  If I was scared, he was going to be terrified in an already terrifying experience.  That would've made the situation so much worse.

I'm so thankful that taking CPR was part of Children Hospital's checklist.

EMS aren't always going to get there on time. It's a terrifying situation, one made worse with a parent freaking out and not having that knowledge and training to help their kid. Take a course. Educate yourselves. Be prepared. 

It's better to have the knowledge and training and not need it, than need it and not have it.

1 comment:

  1. It's been years since one of my kids choked, but just like you, I found that staying calm and keeping my wits about me, was very important. Even as a nurse, I'm grateful for the many CPR refresher courses I've had to take.

    ReplyDelete