Thursday, March 20, 2014

Ostara Bunny?

Many bright Spring blessings to you and yours, first off.

Yesterday, while at the store, we passed by the Easter displays; they usually catch my eye, because Easter, Spring Equinox/Ostara, and May Day/Beltane share many of the same symbols and themes.  I love this time of the year, as it gives me decoration ideas for the future.  We walked past the Easter Baskets, and my husband said something about the "cheap crap" that some parents buy for their kids, and how he's glad that we won't be doing any of that.

It got me thinking, for May Day, I plan on making tiny baskets of sabbat themed gifts for the kids--baskets brought by the Fae.  I was going to hang them on their doors.  But what about the Spring Equinox?  We share many symbols with Easter.  I know that the grandparents are going to get them Easter Baskets, which I don't have a problem with.  In my family, the holidays are more about the kids than about the religious intent.  So plenty of candy and "cheap crap" in their baskets from the Easter Bunny.

I was cursing through my Pinterest Spring board and looking through The Blasphemous Homemaker's post about Family Friend Ostara activities, when it occurred to me....will we have an "Ostara" Bunny bring the kids treats, like my husband and I both knew as kids concerning Easter? As I mentioned for May Day, I'm going to be doing baskets from the Fae, but baskets from a bunny?  I don't know.  For each sabbat, I do want to make felt treasure dolls for each child, that they can open up and find special symbolic gifts inside.  I mean, we can do baskets if we wanted to.

I plan on us doing art & crafts and activities concerning Spring, such as seed plantings, egg coloring, and egg hunts, but baskets of treats from a bunny?  I dunno.  I might leave that with Easter and May Day.

It's food for thought.

Do you do anything special, similar, or different for Ostara/Spring Equinox?


No comments:

Post a Comment