Thursday, February 6, 2014

Best Friends, Separated by a Wire Cage



It's times like this that I wish we had a pet that Lycan could be more interactive with.  Marsden's friendly enough when he's in his cage or being held, but out on the floor, he's rambunctious, a biter, a climber, and those clinging claws are bad news for flesh!

Lycan loves animals.  All animals are "Cat" to him.  One of his favorite stuffed animals is a black cat that I got him for Yule: Tat the Cat.He gets so tickled when he sees them, and knows to be gentle.  When I take Marsden out of his cage for Lycan to pet, my son's eyes light up and he actually gets a little shy, and no interaction makes this kid shy!  Lycan loves kids, and will walk right up to them, wanting to play.  Sees an animals and he's cautious, which is smart.  I don't want to raise my children thinking that it's okay to wander up to any animal, wild or domestic.  Animal smarts, yall, important to teach your children!

I was just talking to my husband adopting a dog, when #2 is one or two.  He said, "Well, what about a puppy?"

My reasons for not wanting a puppy:
  • Kids are too young to help care for it
  • I don't want the kids toys, socks, clothes, blankets, or binkies to get chewed up
  • I don't want them to find poop or pee puddles before I do
  • i don't want to deal with diapers, potty training, AND door training all at the same time!
  • Puppies are too much work
  • An adopted dog is already trained, has shots, and we'll hopefully find one that's good with kids

"True."

I know, I've thought about this.  When they're old enough to help care for a puppy and can be encouraged to clean up after themselves, THEN we can get a puppy.  It'll be a rite of passage like when we were kids.  I started with a g...whatever pig, a dwarf rabbit, had an explosion of hamsters, then we had kittens, and THEN a puppy!

That being said I've had many a pet (compared to hubby who's only had dogs):
  • Cockapoo
  • Beagles
  • English Mastiff
  • Doberman Mix
  • Dwarf Rabbit
  • Flop Earred (who didn't flop) Rabbit
  • Hamsters
  • Gen....whatever Pig (i can never spell it!)
  • Rats
  • Ferret
  • Beta Fish
  • Gold Fish
  • Madagascar Hissing Cockroaches
  • Siamese Cats
  • Russian Blue
  • Main Coon
  • Persian Cats

I've always wanted a bird, but hubby's allergic to domestic bird feathers....or so he claims.  One day I hope to have room for a goat or two, chickens, and a couple heads of cattle....but more for milk, cheese, eggs, and meat, less for companionship.  

Enough about me, I'm pretty open to just about any kind of pet, as long as the kids can prove that they're responsible and can handle them.  No problems there.  But right now, being as young as they are...we'll think about adopting an adult dog when #2 is on their way out of diapers!

~)O(~

No comments:

Post a Comment