Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Small Steps Towards Community

Sigh, I need a spiritual boost.  Lately I've been wanting to find a study group, a coven, a center, a temple, or even a church that's friendly to Pagans.  I've searched Witchvox looking for leads, but either I come up with nothing, the coven or group is Wiccan specific, the study group has fallen flat, or the temple/center is located out in the middle of Nowhere!

I'm having zero luck!

I just want a supportive community, where I can grow spiritually, but in a friendly environment where I'm not constantly being judged by someone for not being a part of their faith.  Nor do I want someone's else deity shoved down my throat.  I want a place that I can bring my children to, so that they can grow with other kids, sharing in their own discoveries.  I just want a community!  

I tried "Spiritual Centers" but so far, the only ones popping up are Christian-centered.  I tried "Spiritual Communities" and got something about Reiki Centers.  Somewhat close, but not quite.  Then, I found The Columbus Witches Meetup Group.  I don't know how active it is, but it's worth a look.

So I remembered something I saw from one of the FB groups I follow--this article--something about Universal Unitarians, and decided to search in my local area.  Well I found one such church: First Unitarian Universalist Church. I've been checking out their site and I'm following them on FB, just trying to learn more about them and their message.  They say they're open to all spiritual walks of life, but I dunno, I'm still nervous.  It'd be fine if it were just me being rejected and possible judged by supposed "tolerant" and "accepting" people (I'm used to it), but it's another thing that I want to involve my family.  Especially my son.

I don't want to be tolerated, though.  There's still a hint of negativity in there.  I'd rather be accepted.

They say they're Liberal, largely, and well, I'm not.  Nor am I exclusively Republican or Democrat, I tend to fall in the middle of all parties.  Extreme-anything tends to annoy the crap out of me, because they're generally....mmmm, one sided.  Black or White.  No Gray.  I'm a Gray.  I can see all sides of the story, for the most part; and I can agree and disagree, but I'm not bound by a specific party.  I guess, I'm just another Moderate.  Maybe Independant?  I dunno, I don't really know the terms. I'm not big into politics.  I guess I'm kind of in a Fuck-Everything-Political every since Ohio took away my reproductive rights. 

And this branch of the UU seems to be big into Social Justice, at least their website is.  I'm all for it, but not to the degree that some people take it to.  As I call them, especially the Tumblr variety, the Social Justice League.  Blind.  Closed.  Their way or the highway.  Rude.  Arrogant.  Witch Hunters, for a better term.

Spiritually, I'm not that interested in Social Justice; for me, it can just be too political, and I'd rather not mix the two....or maybe I'm just missing the point, seeing as I am ignorant of UU and their cause.  I mean, this is my first time researching the local UU church.  Maybe it's not as cut and dry as I'm seeing?  I'm just not certain that the UU is right for me.  At least not this branch, but I'm willing to learn and give it a try. 

It's almost a shame that there aren't more temples dedicated to specific deities like in the days of olde, like Greece.  Be nice to just be able to visit a temple, a shrine, or a city dedicated to Hestia, or Vesta for that matter, with other followers.  But alas, this is the modern era.  Hestia/Vesta followers...and just Pagans in general--well, serious Pagans--are spread out, far and wide.

Alas, my search for a Pagan-ish community, that I can feel safe about involving my kids in, continues...  Too bad there's not a Spiral Scouts chapter near by?  Although maybe one will be by the time Lycan's old enough to join?

Any ideas, guys?

~)O(~

2 comments:

  1. It depends on the UU. Some are very "high church" and use "the G word", and others aren't.

    When they say liberal, they don't necessarily mean politically, but theologically. They're open to all and accepting to all. The one I participated in and helped create back in central Delaware was full of Pagans. The one here in Nebraska has a CUUPS chapter too.

    Some are big into gay rights, which is part of social justice. Some are big into environmental causes. What the church embraces depends on its members' interests.

    Good luck finding a community that feels right to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the explanation. The one I was lookin at online seemed to be HUGE into major Social Justice issues.

      Delete