Friday, November 23, 2012

I Don't Agree with Pagan Parenting! Wah wah wah!!!

I don't get that mindset of "You shouldn't raise your children in your faith".  Though I do understand where it comes from, as many do come from families where it's already picked out for them before they can make a choice.  But at the same time.....apparently they're not of that religion, so what's the problem? 

Obviously, when a faith is already picked, most of the time it's out of love.  Now granted some families are pretty closed or ignorant of other belief systems (and lots see others as false or make believe), but at the same time, when you're a teenager or a grown ass adult, you're able to make the choice to educate yourself.  It's not set in stone. 

Like I've been a Pagan Witch for over 20 years, yet nothing stopping me from switching to another religion, other than ignorance, if I so choose.  (Though I agree you can't become X over night; it takes dedication, education, and time.)

Guess what?  Just because you were baptized, or others have Wiccaning/Paganings for their children (the Pagan equivalent of a deity blessing), doesn't mean it's set in stone.  It's a blessing!  Generally something done out of love and care!  Not so that you can't choose a different faith when you're old enough!  Most likely your parents didn't do it out of control.  Do you get all pissy when something says, "God Bless you" when you sneeze?  If so, you may want to rethink your life.  Instead of taking everything as an personal insult or attack, see that generally people are actually doing and saying things to be polite, or out of the goodness of their hearts.  Damn.

Some people love to be the victims.

If you're Pagan and you want to raise your children in a Pagan household, so be it.  It's your choice.  For me, there's not a define line between Pagan, Witch, and Mundane.  They're one in the same.  So yeah, I'm going to share it with my children.  Yeah, I'm going to raise them Pagan.  My path gives me joy, peace, and wonder. Is it so wrong that I want to teach my children about my faith?  No, it's not.  It's done out of love. As parents, it's only natural to want to teach and share our world with them. 

Guess what else?  When they're old and mature enough they can branch out, educate themselves, and chose other religions/paths if they want! 

People need to get over themselves and realize that they're currently not following the path they were raised in (whether their families are okay with it or not).  If they can do it, so can your children.  They don't stay impressionable kids forever!  And not only can you raise the in your faith, BUT you can also educate them about other faiths. 

Give your kids some credit!  Give other parents some credit!

To be honest, I have no qualms with those who don't raise their kids in their path.  To each your own.  I don't understand how they're able to separate it from their lives and their families, but once again, it's because I don't do that in my practice.  But don't you dare tell me that I'm wrong for raising my children Pagan, just because YOU think it's wrong. 

You focus on your family and I'll focus on mine.  Let's try that, huh?

~)O(~

1 comment:

  1. Parents need to make their own choices, and not tell everyone else what to do.

    Yes, I find it both sad and intellectually harmful when a choice means rearing a child in complete ignorance, as with Christian families who eschew evolution. Buuut... *sigh* Their kids, their choice. I can't say to them, "You're fucking up your child and they will be ill-equipped to deal with scientific reality!" To be honest, yes, I shake my head at them and the Young Earth Creationists, and such.

    But what I can I do?

    I can focus on MY children and teach them the facts of life, nature, and science. I can tell them, "This is the spiritual path mom and dad follow. These are other paths you will probably encounter."

    We're pretty committed to rearing our daughter Pagan, but of course she may make her own choices in life and we'll make that clear to her.

    My son is slightly trickier, since his father is Christian. However, when he's here with me, he participates in Pagan rituals and practices, hears the stories, etc. When he's with his dad, he goes to church and participates in that family's practices. He was baptized (I chose not to participate, but I grudgingly allowed it) and had a Pagan naming ceremony. Someday, he'll make his choice. For now, I answer his questions and explain the similarities and differences between my path and his father's.

    A parent is and SHOULD be free to decide what sort of approach they want to take to spirituality, religion and children. Even if I disagree with the anti-evolution zealots, for example, I can't tell them how to parent.

    But with my children? It is my right to guide them in the way I think is best.

    And with your children? Yes. It is completely YOUR right to guide them as YOU see best.

    ReplyDelete