Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Woe is Me ;-)

Okay, day one of my glucose tracking.  Luckily a friend of mine, with diabetes, gave me an extra tester, a bunch of strips, and lancets last night.  Thank you, Alyce!  I have to test when I first get up with an empty stomach, then two hours after every meal....which will be odd since I tend to eat every hour....But I'll figure it out. 

I had to prick myself twice on my first time, ::shakes head::  Couldn't get enough blood flow, and I had to use three strips due to insufficient blood and the tester not being ready.  Lancets hurt!  But then it's also a finger.  The pain doesn't last for too long, as I need to focus on getting the blood flowing, so the strip can suck it up.  I think I've got it now.

Things already aren't looking too good, as this morning's reading, on an empty stomach, was 150.  That's high.  According to LiveStrong, "For pregnant women without diabetes, average fasting glucose levels vary between 69 and 75; one hour after eating they range from 105 to 108. If you have preexisting diabetes or develop gestational diabetes, the goal of management is to keep your blood glucose as near normal as possible without going too low. In 2007, the Fifth International Workshop-Conference on Gestational Diabetes established blood glucose goals for diabetic women during pregnancy: fasting sugar should be less than 96; one hour after eating, it should remain under 140; two hours after eating, it should be less than 120".

So yeah, I think pills are in my future....hopefully they'll able to get it under control without insulin.  Bad enough to prick myself, but needles?  I know I've said that I don't have too much of an issue with needles, having tattoos and all, but it's different when someone else is doing it for you. 

But then for the 3-hour test, I dunno, out of the 4 blood draws, only 2 came back high.  So I dunno.  We'll see how the rest of the week goes.  Time for food, which I used to love, but now have mixed feelings about it.  Just like how I was enjoying my pregnancy until this whole GD thing got started, then I just wanted to have my healthy, happy son.  Get it over with, and hope that I don't have Type anything Diabetes, which most likely will be Type 2.  Less enjoyment, more of just trying to get the nutrients that Lycan needs. 

Yep, I'm looking forward to my baby shower and to his birth.  Sabbats, anniversaries, and family events.....there's just no excitement there.  Not that I'm sulking, the moods shift with the tides, it seems....okay, maybe a tad.  I'm still just dealing in my own way, which includes a lot of flip flopping and over thinking.  The doctor's positivity, yesterday, rubbed off on me a little bit, though. And I'm sure the meeting with the Diabetic Teacher will also make me feel loads better, with a diet and exercise plan and all - someone who actually knows what's going on.  Right now, it's just me with very little understanding, over thinking and worrying.  Nothing new there.

I'm more worried about my sons health than anything.

Course, I say I'm not looking forward to anything, but when it comes up, I obviously enjoy myself.  This tis the season of food and I think that's why I'm feeling the way I am.  I was looking forward to all of the dinners and family get togethers.  I'm a Kitchen Witch, I enjoy baking and cooking; I love food!  Or I used to.  Now I just have mixed feelings about it.  I know it's not the end of the world, just a big change.  But to get out of my slump, I'm going to make hubby his favorite meal and a personal cake for his birthday come Tuesday. 

And my mom is a HUGE support system right now.  As soon as I told her, she did her homework on what the best diet for me is.  No doubt at family get togethers she'll be conscientious of healthy and tasty foods for me to eat.  I'm sorry, I'm pregnant, all I can think about is food! lol, oh shit.  How melodramatic is that? 

So yeah, I'm gonna go and eat.  Normally I'd said that my emo mood is due to a low blood sugar, but that's not the case is it?

~)O(~

No comments:

Post a Comment