Saturday, August 18, 2012

What The Wren's Nest is About

A new blog that'll be dedicated to Pagan Parenting, through the Wren Family's journey.  But what can a childless hopeful bring to the Parenting plate?  Well, not much in terms of first hand parenting experience, but I can bring links to other PP sites and bloggers, as well as fun crafts and recipes.  I've been compiling a binder of sources, tips, recipes, books, and crafts for some time (in preparation for our own little fledgling).  Now granted most are from the Family Fun Magazine, but what can I say, I love it; they have so many cool crafts and fun recipes.

Luckily, I've got 5 nieces and nephews to try some of these activities out on!

I'll also include ideas, plans, hopes, fears, and dreams (it'll be interesting to see how these compare to reality).  And when I am finally gifted with our own bundle, this blog will be used as a journal.  Including ALL the details; the good, the bad, and the ugly!  I figure truth, no matter how gross, is better than sugar-coating.  I'll also be exploring our family trees, the different cultures, religions, and traditions they held.  I want to incorporate some of our ancestors traditions in with our own, too, instead of letting them be lost in this Digital Age.

Since wanting children, how to raise them in a more Pagan way has been on my mind a lot, especially in the last few years since meeting the man I knew I was going to be handfasted to.  Raising them to be Pagan is very important and honestly, I don't see any other way to go about it, as my husband is a Heathen and I'm a Witch.  Now granted, the rest of our family are a mixture of faiths, predominately Christian, so they'll be exposed to other faiths, including other religions and cultures we plan on teaching them. 

When they reach a certain age, if they choose to explore other religions and Pagan paths, we're fine with it.  If they want to become a Witch, I'll teach them about the different traditions, types, and from my own path. 

And I plan on enriching their lives with heritage, as honoring our ancestors and their traditions is important to my practice - a practice that I wish my family had instilled in us when we were kids.  But celebrating Christmas, Easter, and Thanksgiving were the only traditions we had (which had very little emphasis on Christianity).  There was virtually no emphasis on our ancestors, at least not until we were adults and had the internet at our fingertips.  My brother and I love to learn about our bloodline, he more focused on the male side, and me on the female side.  And let's be honest, the kids probably won't be all that interested until they're adults, if at all, unless they're like their mom and uncle. 


It wasn't until I met my brother's ex-wife that I was exposed to some Southern traditions, such as the Christmas Pickle, and at Thanksgiving, they passed around a kernel and said what they're thankful for.  Very cool, by the way.  Traditions that won't be incorporated into our own, given that we won't be celebrating those holidays.  Which I'm sure will bring with it it's own family drama and compromises.  But we'll cross that bridge when we get there.

So that's what this blog is going to be about, roughly.  No doubt it won't be as active, at least until I enter the Mothering phase, but who knows?  I've got a lot on my mind. But I'll go ahead and redirect yall to my post on Aut-yum Leaves (it's a Family Fun recipe).

~~~~~~~~~

I just realized with our address of "Wren's Family Medicine" that some may, at first, think pharmacists?  But I chose it with Wren Medicine in mind.  If you're familiar with me or my other blog, Book of Mirrors, you'll know that working with Animal Spirits and their signs is very important to my practice.  According to Animal Spirit Totems, this is what Wren Medicine is all about:

 "Wren represents a new period of incoming energy, increased activity and heightened alertness in mental, physical, and emotional areas. There is clarity with a creative vibrancy along with activated confidence in the ability to adapt to any situations. [...] Wren expresses an effervescence and renewed vitality of relationships within the environment; work, home, family, groups. He shows that emotional journey includes joy and happiness. You deserve it. It is time to lighten your heart with the creative arts and spending time in nature to rejuvenate. Wren's medicine also includes determination, strength and fortitude and resourcefulness with the art of multitasking. He shows balancing and timing of when to be aggressive and when to be subdued. Listen to your body for indicators. Although he may not always be seen, his song speaks to the heart in order for you to sing your own wonderful song. [...]  His medicine will guide you and provide strength to move forward."

I figured that with "Wren" being my married name, I'd work the bird in there, too.  And I like their message, it's pretty similar to my Mountain Goat Totem, only a lot more happier.  "Determination, strength and fortitude and resourcefulness with the art of multitasking" sound to be good qualities for any family. 

Blessings.

~)O(~

No comments:

Post a Comment